Friday, January 30, 2004

The Main Event

Packed...that is the only word I can use to describe yesterday at Dean's. Downtown has been transformed into a fan fair of activity in anticipation of the Super Bowl. I left early from my house as usual and made my way through the crappy weather to downtown. The 6 block radius around Dean's was shut down for the nightly events so I had to pay to park. They had about 4 or 5 stages hosting some quite lame cover bands, although I did hear one guy doing a Prince song which always appeases our boy Coy. We did two 1 hour sets, one at 10 and one 12. We had a nice little street crew working for us and I'm still awaiting the results of our hustlers. Carley felt as though she didn't work hard enough because she didn't sell to many CDs, eventhough she was being as "persuasive" as possible. It was a different night as far as positioning yesterday. I was on display in the window while everyone else was in their usual places. This was done in consideration for Dean's to allow more bodies to buy booze. I personally didn't enjoy it all too much. From where I sat every note I played was very loud, but Marc gave me the thumbs up on sound balance. I also didn't enjoy being so limited with my small set up...only 2 cymbals : ( Marc had some technical issues in the beginning of the first set but he made up for it one of his best solos to date....at least whatever I heard from my hampster cage sounded really nice. Our new song felt really good. We named it "4. Star Ranch"...which is a nice play on words. We got out at a relatively decent time and overall I think we picked up a few fans who will attend our Thursday night ritual. Superbowl Sunday looks like it will be spent in Crystal Beach @ Coy's pizza joint. We'll play a set before the game then I plan on watching the game at my cousin's house with my folks. If you haven't taken the time to check out the fan fair I would highly recommend it. Houston has been polished to a high sheen for this event so if you want to have a good time downtown now is the time. Safety seemed to be at a high degree throughout the evening, although I just saw alot of BSing by most of the cops. There were plenty of scrumptious sirens to be seen in the city (ooo say that a few times fast), especially our wayward yoga mistress. I look forward to catching all the old and new faces next Thursday.

Until then this is Beatty signing out