Thursday, January 01, 2004

We've survived another year!

What a night! Beginning at the tame hour of 3, LBP began setting up for one of the best shows of the year. After setting up Troy, Marty, and myself headed to Chipotle to give us the fortitude to sustain large quantities of groove for the new year. Afterwards we swung by the cigar store across the way to buy some cancer sticks...Troy and I chose some Romeo y Julieatas while Marty went for the more tightly wrapped Dominicans. From there we headed to the Kaveh Kanes coffee joint for some caffeine. While we were there Marty exposed Trizle to some snipits of Phish: A live one. Lindsey, Marc's girlfriend, and her sister Carly were gracious enough to provide us with a pre-party before I gig. We were first there and as such had first dibs on the Makers Mark. The DVD of the evening was the Up in Smoke tour from a few years back. Hor'dourves and merriment was made when everyone got there at the fashionably late hour of eight o'clock. Those with cigars journeyed up to the roof to catch the skyline and admire the view of downtown. While smoking we spoke of the special Olympic size pool on the roof and action stars of yore. Conrad was pimping the Jet Li kung fu jacket, and with the cigar he could have easily passed as Jet Li on hiatus form his latest flick "I kick quite a few asses Part XXII". And I must say everyone there was great and well dressed for the occasion...Especially the visiting fashion scholar Brooke and our humble host Lindsey : ) The transition to Dean's was a smooth one. The band and party crew rolled in around eleven. We caught the last bit of the opener, a Beatles cover band that I honestly can't remember the name to. We were happy to see that the house was already pretty filled in with drinking patrons. The club next door to Dean's was also open for use, so we had double the capacity for packing in the peeps in comparison to last year. We started playing around 11:30 and then the madness ensued. Unbeknownst to me dancers were hired to adorn the front window of Dean's during out set...and I must say that came as a very welcomed surprise. It was already hard to maintain concentration with the projector throwing topless Gucci fashion shows up on the wall, now I have to deal with hot sexually charged, scantily clad women doing everything in their power to get my attention while I am trying to sustain a rhythm to keep them moving....you do the math on how hard that is. Phyve, our lead singer, also played the role of pole, human bench presser, and male counter part to our lovely dancers. In addition to girls bouncing round the room the music was an added bonus. Everyone was digging it and people stayed to the last little bit of our performance...even through our "Sweet Home Alabama" contest. We stopped playing around 2 in the morn with the new year thoroughly brought in. My night, however, had a bit left to play out. After packing my stuff and meandering around outside of Dean's I was convinced by Jordan, our visiting Biologist from California, to keep the night alive and scour around for another party. On the way we ran into our main man Tyson who was in no condition to drive so I hopped in his wagon....through all the insanity we all made it to the Chateau for some early morning socializing. From there Phyve needed a ride back to his car at Marc's place so Phyve, Jordan, myself and my drumset squeezed snugly into my car to hit the beer soaked roads of Houston. After dropping off Phyve, driving back to Tyson's, dropping off Jordan, and takeing in the lingering holiday lights around the Rice/Galleria area twice, I finally found my way back onto I10 heading West to my home. Music for the ride included forgotten favorites such as I want my MTV, sporadic Tehano stations, some various smooth jazz, and Franz Liszt's Hungarian rhapsody #2. I got home around 6 this fine new years day and must say that the previous year has been successful. I look forward to the year to come and hope you can all join us...we'll be kicking in the weekly jam/funk every Thur starting next week @ Dean's so don't be a stranger and come out. This ends today's transmission of LBP goings on...I'm out.

PS
Never, under any circumstances, believe what that damn 8 ball tells you. It only spouts lies.