Monday, January 26, 2004

Home on the Range

What a fantastic weekend we had at Tyson's ranch. LBP headed out on Friday and arrived Friday evening at around 7. After missing the entrance a few times we got to the ranch house and started to take it all in. I didn't think it would be a "real"ranch. I thought it would be something just out in the country, but I wrong. Tyson's folks own an honest to God "John Wayne" style ranch....with cows and land and such. The weather was kind of soggy but that didn't slow us down any. After we were set up we started developing a few new ideas that Coy had. We got about 2 songs rough drafted and then the drinking began. I can't say how inebriated everyone else got, but as for myself I got tore up. As we all know, getting tore up always ends in a train wreck. There was a bon fire and nobody was injured...not seriously. After the fire we got back to the house and attempted to play some more, but it was unsuccessful. My hands had decided to stop working a long time before getting back to the house. My memory gets foggy shortly after giving up on playing so I assume that everybody else continued throwing down while I slept alone in a drunken stupor. Saturday morning began with Marc starting a 10 a.m. set behind my drums as promised. My hangover and I got up after that and ate some caramels for breakfast. Around 11 the whole band was up and we began to play. We had quite a few ideas come out of Saturday's jamming. Conrad was mystified with what he believes is our greatest groove to date. The whole song is good, but it is the change in the middle which makes it really cool. I call it the "R. Kelly" change but you'll all need to hear it to understand what I'm talking about. Lindsey and Carley arrived around 3 and later on our new friends Mark & Airess came as well (not a play on words for those of you who were there ; ). There was some killer cooking being done throughout the day. Steaks, burgers and chicken were some of the foods on the menu. The Coup de Grace was the shrimp eatufee stuffed boneless chicken from Herberts specialty meats...it may or may not have been the best thing there. Tyson took a few of us to the haunted house that was on the property. The story boils down to a crazy guy named "Earl" killing his whole family and hanging them on a meat hook located in the house. Eventhough the house was spooky the hook in question was by no means as intimidating. It was honestly nothing more than bent hanger. The music continued into late night Saturday. Everything ran smoothly on into our departure. I am anxious to let all of you hear the great new material that our ranch weekend spawned. Our playing as a whole, I feel, has reached a new level. Conrad's addition to the band has brought some new knowledge and direction that we otherwise would have lacked. As soon as our negotiations are done with Dean's we'll post the Super Bowl schedule here so keep your eyes fixed on the site. Next week we should be playing for some of the largest crowds ever at Dean's so the intensity will be at a new high. I look forward to seeing all of you at our next show.

Au revoir