Sunday, May 18, 2008

Friends at Dan Electro's

It's strange playing music for your friends. There's always plenty of faces at an LBP show that I either know only from LBP shows or don't know at all. But Friday at Dan Electros, I found myself thinking about the people that know us outside of "us".

For the most part, if you know Phyve, Marc, Morris and I personally, you would probably agree that who we are on stage is who we are off. But there is a tiny bit of "being on" or even "rock star" that takes over (his Mom doesn't call him Phyve). But, that's not to say that it's in any way fake. I don't know if it comes from being the center of attention because we're the loud thing that all of the chairs are facing or maybe it's that from the time the show starts until the time the show ends, we're exactly in our element, comfortable enough to be extra-real and completely honest.

I kept wondering what it looks like to people who know that I'm no rock star. To me, it feels like I'm letting the music and my heart lead my actions. But does it look like that to my wife's co-workers who know me as the guy who picks her up for work early on Tuesdays in order to get our son to soccer practice on time?

I guess what I was really wondering is which one is real? The quiet guy or the dude doing the bass solo while head banging with his tongue sticking out?

Maybe they both are. Maybe that's the point.

Anyway,
LBP played @ Dan Electro's Guitar bar Friday night. The crowd wasn't the biggest ever but was one of the best. Like I said, there were a good number of friends there and a few of them were more than willing to get silly with us. After the show was over and everyone had cleared out, the bartender said that she's going to have to put a stripper pole on stage (um... she was talking about you, Erika).

Thanks to everyone who came out, I hope you had as much fun as I did,
Hi, Coleen, I can't wait to see the pics,
Thanks to everyone for checking in,
See you soon,
Coy - LBP Bass

p.s. Forgive the bizarre blog, I try to let it just write itself and I guess it's in a weird mood :)