Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy Two Thousand Phyve

So there it is, another year gone by and another LBP New Years Party at Dean's. It might have been the best one yet and it almost didn't happen (at least for me). If you've been following along, you know I am awaiting a heart transplant. Well, last Tuesday, I got the call (or so we thought). They brought me in, got me ready for surgery (even knocked me out) but decided that the heart would not work after all because the aorta was too small. So they sent me home. That was good news to me because it meant that I got to play the New Years show.

The evening started at about 6, we all got to Dean's to set up and rehearse (we hadn't played together since this transplant stuff started which was almost a month ago already). We set up, sound checked and worked through a couple of "easily F-upable" songs (and tried to remember "Auld Lang Syne" - we basically did). After that it was off to do whatever it is we all do and we met up at about nine at the "Walker Sister's Second Annual Pre-LBP New Years Eve Party, New Years Eve Party". Slowly the place filled in with old friends and new faces and we moved the entourage over to Dean's.

One of my favorite things about our New Year's shows is the fact that we set up hours in advance, go hang out and then walk into an already packed club and just start playing (it's quite the rock star behavior). We were all happy (and a little surprised) to find out that we were still a good band and the show was great from start to finish. This year's show contained less debauchery than last year's (no strippers - oh, I mean "dancers"). I took their place on the bar but I don't think I had the same effect as they did. Chrissy, Jordan, April, Debbie and Lindsay (mine) made up for it later with their own Coyote Ugly impression (look for pics soon).

I am always blown away by the LBP family, we feel so lucky to have a following that consists of intelligent music fans. You guys "get it" and we appreciate it. It means so much to us that you not only packed the joint last night but also created such an amazing vibe for us to play along with, thank you. Obviously New Year's Eve is a big night for all of us and it means a lot that you guys continue to choose to "ring it in" with us. Again, thank you.

So on to 2005, we (because of me) have a pretty empty calendar right now. We start the recording of our new album on January 22nd and after that who knows. All we know is that we are all committed to staying together and continuing to be LBP. This year will probably not include a lot of music for for me but it will for the rest of LBP (I'm kind of looking forward to sneaking in to a show without telling anyone and heckling the crap out of them - "Hey Mr. Guitar Dude, why don't you get off Trey's nuts"?).

So Happy New Year from all of us in LBP,
Thanx for all of the E-Mails,
Thanx for your support,
Coy - LBP Bass

p.s. I hope you don't mind but I plan to keep updates here on the Blog with what goes on with me this year. It seems to have become a convenient way of keeping my friends "in the know".